July 11, 2009

The Color Green

July 11, 2009
"And the moon is a sliver of silver
Like a shaving that fell on the floor of a Carpenter's shop
And every house must have it's builder
And I awoke in the house of God
Where the windows are mornings and evenings
Stretched from the sun
Across the sky north to south
And on my way to early meeting
I heard the rocks crying out"
~Rich Mullins

I love the song "The Color Green" by Rich Mullins. Every time I hear this first stanza, I wonder how people can write so incredibly well. I'm sure lots of people have compared the world to a house built by God. But who has ever put it so eloquently? "The moon is a sliver of silver like a shaving that fell on the floor of a Carpenter's shop." The imagery in this line is so good it kills me!

So what are some of your favorite poets/poems/lyrics, etc...?

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

There are so many that I love! I think my favorite "new" lyrics from this year would have to be:

"I was born, I was born to sing for you;
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up;
And sing whatever song you wanted me to;
I give you back my voice from the womb;
My first cry, it was a joyful noise..."
(U2's "Magnificent")

 
Bumbershoot Lane. Design by Pocket