February 18, 2009

What's with the weird name?

February 18, 2009
Bumbershoot: a whimsical term for an umbrella

So why Bumbershoot Lane? Well, 2 reasons. I love the word bumbershoot. I came across it several years ago and thought immediately of my sister who has a well established umbrella collection. Now while I may not have the cute umbrellas that Bethany does, I do own at least 4. So, I think that puts me on the road to being a connoisseur. Secondly, umbrellas are so practical! If you know me, you know that I'm 'Ms. Practical' and I frequently make reference to the 'useful' or 'serviceable' quality of things.

So, my hopes for this blog are threefold:
  1. That it will reflect my practical and whimsical nature and let you know a little more about what I'm doing and thinking.
  2. That it will provide encouragement to its readers whether you live far from me or just down the hall.
  3. Finally, that it will stretch me to become a better communicator and writer.

So on that note, I'll end this post with something far more practical than an umbrella. While an umbrella keeps us from getting wet the LORD himself is a surrounding hedge for his people.

Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion,
which cannot be moved, but abides forever.
As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
so the LORD surrounds his people,
from this time forth and forevermore.

~Psalm 125:1-2

P.S: A HUGE thanks to Jen and Sarah for their help in getting this set up. Y'all are great friends and I wouldn't trade your friendship for all the woolly socks in Siberia.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
I have bookmarked this page and look with much anticipation to your healthy portion of musing with just a pinch of sarcasm thrown in for more richness. Bumbershoot sounds like a perfect name for your whimsical yet practical journey into the blogging world.
Nink

Natalie said...

Ninky, Ninker, I'm so glad that you'll be reading. Wish I could see you face to face!

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure if umbrellas, er bumbers-hoot, were around back in the day, many references/proverbs would have mentioned them.

mandy said...

Do you know a wool sock maker in Siberia? Just wondering... ;)

Natalie said...

Mandy, if I did know a wool sock maker in Siberia, I would marry him. What's better than wool socks?

 
Bumbershoot Lane. Design by Pocket