March 30, 2009

A Proverbial Fool

March 30, 2009
According to C.S Lewis, it is no contradiction for someone to be a fool and a M.A.*

Based on personal experience and a little bit of self-awareness, I would have to agree. Granted, I'm not a M.A. yet, but I'm pretty sure another degree will do very little to alter my foolish ways.

Proverbs 28:26: Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.

Proverbs 29:20: Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.


* in the preface to Mere Christianity


4 comments:

Shelly said...

You know this is only making me laugh...b/c I love you. In your multiple M.A. world, and honest awareness of our fleshly selves!

Jennifer said...

Tonight I'm feeling very foolish for even trying for an M.A. About half an hour ago I told Sarah that I can't believe sometimes that I voluntarily signed up for this...:-)

Anonymous said...

I remember a grad school prof in Math who was famous for asking his soon-to-be Masters' grads (in his Oriental dialect), "Ah, so now you have Master degree; but tell me, what have you mastered?" The more you learn, the more you learn you have learned very little, eh?

Jana said...

thank you for the reminder :)

 
Bumbershoot Lane. Design by Pocket