April 8, 2009

The Visible God

April 8, 2009
I've been thinking a good bit on the following verse:

He is the image of the invisible God. ~Colossians 1:15

Taking a class on Colossians and talking through Christology, has reminded me of the inherent grace in Christ's incarnation. Theologians love to throw around the word incarnation (and for good reason, it's a useful term). But these days I keep thinking about these two words, image and invisible. Jesus is the invisible God made visible. In putting on human flesh he loses nothing of his deity, he is fully God! But now he can walk among us, teach us, go to the cross for us, and rise again in that same flesh.

This Easter season , I'm thankful that God chose to show His mercy and grace, by becoming a visible, tangible being. Without the act of putting on human flesh, there would be no cross and no resurrection.

And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him.
~Colossians 1:21-22

And you who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside nailing it to the cross.
~Colossians 2:13-14

3 comments:

Garnett said...

You have refreshed my spirit this morning, my friend. Thank you for pointing me to Jesus and God bless your work today.

Natalie said...

Garnett, so glad you were refreshed. (and I'm really glad you figured out how to leave a comment with your name :) No more anonymous stuff from you!

Shelly said...

You know what I love? That I know you well enough (even though we were physically in the same sphere for a much shorter season than I would have preferred) that I can hear your voice and its inflections and see your facial movements if you were actually talking about this. That's what I love :) And of course, miss...

Thank you for sharing my obsession for Jesus in Colossians. Miss you friend.

 
Bumbershoot Lane. Design by Pocket