March 10, 2009

What a Line

March 10, 2009
I was thinking today about how a well crafted line (whether in a book, a song, or a movie) has the ability to illicit so much emotion. Some lines and phrases crack me up, others make me cry. Since it would me ridiculous to try and list all of my favorites, I'll just mention two that I thought of recently.

Steel Magnolias:
"An ounce of pretension's worth a pound manure."
~Shelby (Julia Roberts) says this while at Truvy's getting her hair done. (She's quoting her father, the 'poet laureate of dogwood lane')

To Kill A Mockingbird
"Miss Jean Louise, Miss Jean Louise! Stand up your father's passing."
~Rev. Sykes says this to Scout at the end of the trial. It's such a powerful moment. The courtroom has been strictly segregated with the white people sitting downstairs and the black people upstairs. Jem, Scout, and Dill have been watching the trial from upstairs with Calpurnia's reverend. When it's over, everyone in the balcony stands in honor of Atticus Finch as he's walking by. I love it. It's heartbreaking to think about prejudice and injustice (which is sadly still around today). But it makes me proud to know that there are Atticus Finches in the world, doing what's right. Wow!

So, what are some of your favorite lines?

11 comments:

mandy said...

I read a songwriting book recently that said we should ALWAYS be listening for that next great line.

When I was in Oregon in January, I heard some old ladies talking: "It's better than nothing at all." It became a new song. :)

Movie favorite? 28 Days - one of the final scenes. Sandra Bullock's character says something like "I'm trying to make my outsides match my insides." classic.

Anonymous said...

am currently teaching To Kill a Mockingbird. I have always like this line and have now decided that I believe it to be a pretty good definition of morality. Miss Maudie says to Scout in chapter 6, "I'll say this: Atticus Finch is the same in his house as he is on the public streets. How'd you like some fresh poundcake to ake home?" I think if we acted in our homes the way we do in public, we would be better off.

Also, you know I love, "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Natalie said...

Mandy- way to go! I'll try to say something cool next time I'm around you, just in case you're inspired to write a song.

Misti- you know I love everything about To Kill a Mockinbird and Pride and Prejudice. Good choices!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to be so frivolous and debauched with my comment, but having recently watched Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein (a comedic classic) again, I'm still hearing Madeline Kahn's rendition of "At Last Sweet Mystery of Life I've Found You" in delicto flagrante near the end of the movie. Hi-larious! Sorry, but you asked at the wrong time! Rebuke me if you will.

Anonymous said...

Can't remember the exact wording, but it's to one of the children in Narnia: "A child of Adam? That's enough lift the head of the lowest beggar, or enough to bow the head of the mightiest king.:

Shelly said...

Drink your juice Shelby...
Oh it's a jolly 'olly day with you Bert...

:) Those were for fun really. B/c I miss you. And I love your blog. And I am oh so excited about being a regular visitor as my life begins to settle here in Nashville. Miss you a whole lot....

Natalie said...

Garnett- I've actually never seen Young Frankenstein but I've heard it's hilarious.

Dad- I like that line from Narnia as well. Of course, everyone loves the one about Aslan: "Is he a tame lion," "Tame? No, but he is good."

Shelly- What can I say? Those are right up my alley. Wish you were here...so I could borrow Mary Poppins. And see you of course!

Jennifer said...

I still think my favorites is William Wallace in Braveheart as he is facing torture & death - "Every man dies, but not every man truly lives."

Anonymous said...

I have several, but I'll give the first two that came to mind.
Spanish movie Return Again. "¿El Rey, quĂ© va ser?"

Bruce Almighty: When God explained that that He couldn't make people love Him, but it was free will.

Anonymous said...

I just watched Steele Magnolias this weekend. Truvy says, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."

Anonymous said...

"They're kissing again. Do we have to hear the kissing parts?" ~ The grandson in The Princess Bride

 
Bumbershoot Lane. Design by Pocket