August 2, 2009

A Cure For My Complaining, Anxious, Rebellious Self

August 2, 2009
I was blessed this morning to listen to a sermon by a former professor of mine, Dr. Stephen Witmer. He preached on thankfulness from Psalm 65. I'm not going to recap the whole thing but to hear the sermon in its entirety go here. (sermon date is 07/26/09)

At the end, he summed up a few reasons why Christians should be thankful. I was particularly struck by his statement that being thankful keeps us free from anxiety. The more I thank God for the specifics of his character and deeds, the more I am led to trust him. Increasing my thankfulness increases my faith and trust in God which leads to a decrease in my complaints, anxiety, and even rebellion against him. It's odd yet wonderful to think that something so simple as thanksgiving is so crucial to the Christian life.

I am very thankful to the Lord this morning for the reminder and the challenge to be a thankful Christian. May God receive glory in my thanks and may I grow deeper in my faith as a result.

"Come and see what God has done:
he is awesome in his deeds toward the children of man.
He turned the sea into dry land;
they passed through the river on foot.
There did we rejoice in him,
who rules by his might forever,
whose eyes keep watch on the nations-
let not the rebellious exalt themselves."
~Psalm 66:5-7

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful sermon you heard--and how insightful!

I hope you are doing well, my friend. I went to Olive Garden on Saturday and as I ate my Ande's mint, I smiled and thought of you.

Blessings,
April

 
Bumbershoot Lane. Design by Pocket